The Lucasfilm co-president addressed the shelved Kylo Ren film on the D23 red carpet Saturday.
ByMark Elibert
August 17, 2026
Dave Filoni has finally addressed The Hunt for Ben Solo, but fans hoping to see Adam Driver return to the Star Wars universe shouldn’t expect the project anytime soon.
The Lucasfilm co-president and chief creative officer was asked about the shelved Ben Solo movie while speaking with Variety on the D23 red carpet Saturday. Filoni acknowledged the project but carefully stopped short of saying it would never happen.
“You know, someone was gonna ask me that in this line. I’m surprised it took this long, so that’s really cool,” Filoni said. “But you know, we’re not making that picture right now, that’s all I can say.”
Filoni reportedly accompanied his answer with a Jedi mind-trick hand gesture before offering another message to fans campaigning for the movie.
“It’s not here, you won’t find it here. The force is not with us in that regard; I love the love you feel for it,” he said.
The Hunt for Ben Solo was developed over approximately two years by Driver, director Steven Soderbergh and screenwriter Rebecca Blunt. The proposed film would have taken place after Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and explored Ben Solo’s story following his apparent death in the 2019 movie.
The project reportedly received support within Lucasfilm from Kathleen Kennedy, Filoni and Cary Beck before reaching Disney executives Bob Iger and Alan Bergman. According to Driver, Disney leadership couldn’t get past one major issue: Ben Solo had already died.
“They didn’t see how Ben Solo was a<a href="https://comicvibe.com/how-to-live-stream-mariners-vs-astros-mlb-tv-channel/” title=”How to live stream Mariners vs Astros: MLB, TV channel”>live. And that was that,” Driver told the Associated Press last year.
Soderbergh has also indicated that fans shouldn’t expect the movie to be revived. When previously asked about its chances of returning, he responded, “nope.”
“I really enjoyed making the movie in my head,” Soderbergh previously said. “I’m just sorry the fans won’t get to see it.”
That hasn’t stopped Ben Solo supporters from campaigning for Disney to reconsider. The Save Ben Solo movement has organized several highly visible efforts over the past year, including flying a banner over Disney’s Burbank headquarters and purchasing billboards in Times Square.
The campaign has also used digital trucks at major entertainment events, including The Mandalorian and Grogu premiere and San Diego Comic-Con. In March, skydiver Brenn Richards even jumped with a “Save the Hunt for Ben Solo” flag.
Driver, meanwhile, is remaining within the larger Disney family. It was announced at D23 that he’ll play Mister Sinister in Marvel’s upcoming X-Men reboot.
