A hacker group is is posting daily leaks of what appears to be details and footage from a build of GTA 6. Material posted so far includes various gameplay mechanics and assets, as well as a full game map.
As the group, called “CyberLeek”, has threatened to release new videos daily. It has used the material posted so far, which has not been confirmed as authentic, to promote a memecoin
The origin and age of the gameplay and assets remain uncertain. Rockstar and its parent company, Take-Two Interactive, seem to be working to remove the footage from social media.
CyberLeek began sharing footage earlier this week, with two additional videos yesterday and another today. The latest clip suggests the leakers have access to a playable build of the game as it shows one of the game’s protagonists Jason Duval spell “LEEK” with bullet holes onto a wall.
It’s unclear how old this apparent build is, and how much of the game is playable.
The group has demanded that Rockstar reconsider its all-digital strategy with GTA 6, including digital pre-orders and no physical discs, and remove monetised single-player content.
It has also threatened other publishers with leaks, stating: “If CyberLeek can reach Rockstar, no one is safe.”
GamesIndustry.biz has approached Take-Two for comment.
This is not the first time Rockstar has dealt with GTA 6 leaks. In September 2022, more than a year before Rockstar officially announced the title, Rockstar was hit by a major leak of 90 in-development videos.
The authenticity of the footage was apparently confirmed when Take-Two removed related YouTube videos. The FBI subsequently investigated the alleged hacker responsible for the leaks.
In December 2023, the game’s trailer leaked a day before its scheduled premiere, prompting Rockstar to release the official first look on YouTube earlier than planned.
Earlier this year, Rockstar experienced a third-party data breach in which a hacker group accessed a “limited amount of non-material information.”
The latest leaked footage comes a week before an extended gameplay look of GTA 6 on Netflix, which will premiere on August 27.
Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick recently told GamesIndustry.biz that this partnership is merely “one of the hors d’oeuvres” of its marketing campaign.
“There’s appetisers, main course, and dessert to follow,” he said, describing Netflix as “a great marketing partner for us, and distribution partner”, and that the deal is “a groundbreaking partnership that Rockstar arranged.”
